Frequently Asked Questions
Heavy Haul Transport Service Q & A
The Commercial Transport Regulations set out the maximum dimensions for commercial vehicles and their loads. In general, your vehicle and its load cannot be more than:
- 8’6” wide
- 41’ long
- 13’7” high
Commercial vehicles may obtain exemptions from basic size rules through the use of a special exemption permit as long as the conditions of the permit are followed.
The federal commercial vehicle, maximum weight standards for the Interstate Highway system are:
- Single axle = 20,000 lbs.
- Tandem Axle = 34,000 lbs.
- Grow Vehicle Weight = 80,000 lbs.
Roads under state jurisdiction are subject to individual state restrictions and may vary from these federal weight limits.
To streamline quotes and shipping processing, the following information is required:
- Name, make, and model of every unit
- Height, weight, and width or every unit
- Current location
- On-site contact names
- Transport timeframe
More information may be required based on project specific needs and state-specific requirements, and if an oversized/wide-load permit is required.
It’s not only mileage that determines shipping costs for an overland over-dimensional transport:
- The overall size of the shipment
- The weight of the shipment
- The type of vehicle
- How fast you need something shipped
- Delivery method
- Whether the location is on a major shipping route
- Fuel prices
And any other unique features of your cargo.
Call us anytime you have a question about your freight shipment. We transport coast-to-coast, large, or small shipments, large or small business, household or business deliveries.
Overland Freight Shipping Q & A
- Use quality packing materials and use enough to ensure complete protection.
- Pack your product securely in each box – fill any space with packing material and leave no air. Tape each box closed.
- Stack boxes evenly on each pallet. Load heavier boxes on the bottom and make sure boxes do not overhang the pallet.
- Slide flat cardboard between rows to stabilize the structure.
- Secure entire load – shrink wrap perimeter securely, the more, the better.
- Does it meet our weight requirements for freight shipping?
- Can it be boxed and loaded on pallets or otherwise packaged for secure shipment?
- Is the pick-up location accessible by tractor-trailers? Or can you transport it to a location that is accessible by a tractor-trailer?